Funks!! I get stuck in them all the time. Its so easy to let ourselves get caught up in the most ridiculously joy sucking nonsense and we get trapped in these funks that keep us from being happy, being successful, or even having the slightest bit of motivation. For me, as a blogger and photographer I find myself in inspirational funks and ruts a lot. If I am not feeling inspired I lack motivation everywhere. I even notice how bad if affects my attitude. I have fought my funks time and time again but not without living through them and seeing just how bad they can drag me down.
Sometimes we fall into these dark pits because of other people. For example, comparing is a huge funker!!! Comparing yourself to others is a sure fire way to get in a funk, I know because it happens to me. The key to that issue is, just don’t. Sometimes people will purposely come after your happy thriving successful spirit to bring you down and if you let them get to you and feed you toxic bullshit, you bet a funk will swallow you. Other times funks happen because you just can’t help it like anxiety or depression. These are serious and for me anxiety plays a big role of throwing me into the funker!
I remember my last big funk not too long ago. I was huge and prego, ready to have my baby and feel human again. I could have stayed in my same clothes everyday, not showered, or even got out of bed for who knows how long if I didn’t change things.
My kick of motivation came after I had my little one. I started by getting up every morning and making my bed. Even though I was exhausted the chore of making my bed everyday made me stay out of bed and kept me from wasting the day away. Next came opening all the curtains. Having the sunlight brightening up the house made my attitude start to turn in a new direction. From there I was becoming more and more willing to get stuff done and reclaim my spirit and inspiration. I still have my moments of “blah’s” but they don’t last days or weeks, they don’t hold me back because I not only have to DO SOMETHING about it, but I have to change my way of thinking as well. Physically doing something helps me to transform my bad attitude the funk leaves on me.
Here are some tips to getting out of a funk:
- Set an alarm (you might turn it off but at least you set it)
- Make your bed (just try it)
- Open the blinds, curtains, windows let in some sunlight or fresh air
- Take a shower
- Have a conversation with yourself in the shower (talk about what you’d like to do for the day, whats bothering you, or talk out some goals)
- After your shower fix your hair (yes blow dry it and style it!)
- Put on some make up ( I feel better with a full face on)
- Go outside (just sitting outside helps me clear my mind and find inspiration)
- Meet some friends
- Pick up some fresh flowers
- Buy something that inspires you (but don’t spend more than $20)
- Have your own personal dance party turn that music up
- Clean one room or the whole house lol
- Write (write down exactly what is bothering you)
- Take some photographs (take pictures of anything you find interesting or beautiful)
- Paint your nails or get a mani/pedi
- Call someone that can give you a good pep talk
You might not feel any huge difference after doing these or some of these tips but at least you tried them and got moving. The goal is to get in the habit of taking action, setting goals, and getting into a routine. Even if the routine, for now, is just making your bed everyday and opening the curtains then that is awesome and a start. Staying out of the funk is up to you. Try not to let pettiness get to you or a bad attitude control you. Stay focused on you, what matters to you, and what is important to you.
Share with me what helps you get out of funks!!! Leave me a comment!
Shop the looks in this post